Monday, May 16, 2011

Chair Update: The Icky Chair Gets A Fresh Start

Although the chair isn't completely finished I wanted to post an update since I have quite a bit of work yet to do on this guy. As usual, this is taking a bit longer than I thought it would (wa-wa). 

Here is where we left off at in the last blog post about the Icky Chair I picked up for $10.  I finished up tearing off the upholstery and got the chair ready to prep for paint.
I then used medium grit sandpaper to lightly sand the wood so that the paint will adhere better.
Once that was done I got to spray painting!  I used Rust-oleum's Painter's Touch Ultra Cover in Heirloom White (the same color we used on that old stool). 
Spraying away!
Here is how it looks now with 2 coats of paint, so much better!  I think it is slowly getting a bit more glamorous.  I love how well it coordinates with our DIY radiator cover now that it is white.
Now, the challenge is going to be making a seat cushion and somehow filling the seat back.  I will need to get some supplies for that and find some cute fabric to finish the look. 

I wasn't completely sure what final look I wanted to go for so I checked back in my Jayson Home post for some inspiration.  I loved all of their vintage chairs! 

I thought this bench with white wood and darker linen fabric was lovely.
I also liked the look of these white armchairs with dark gray upholstery.

I'm going to head out to the fabric store and see if I can find something I like in one of those two looks.  I also plan on picking up some nailhead trim to attach onto the cushion for a more polished look.

I'll make sure the next update on this chair is the full 'after' look, sorry for another teaser post, but I just couldn't wait to share after I got it painted!

Also...
I'd like to ask, which look do you prefer for my chair redo?  The dark gray upholstery?  Or the darker linen fabric?  I'd love to hear your thoughts (or other ideas) in the comments! 

Linked up at Sarah's Linky Party

9 comments:

  1. Carla, This chair is awesome! I may need your help when it comes to reupholstering our dining room chairs! I'd gravitate towards the grey but that's because I am in love with grey and like the contrast. If you're going for the linen look though, check into drop clothes as a cheaper yet durable fabric material. I've heard so many people in the blogging world who use them for curtains and other fabric things. I actually have some I want to use for a bench seat cover (which I may also need your sewing expertise on!) but haven't used dropcloth yet in our house. Can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to this. I've had a chair frame, painted and waiting for some fabric. How do I do the seat? That is the question on the table for oh about 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the dark gray with the white. It contrasts very nicely and with upholstery tacks, wow! That will look amazing. JMO, either look is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First I thought Linen for sure, but I just love that dark grey! It's a slam dunk whichever way you go, so I'm not much help... :)

    Amber
    http://amberengferphotography.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the dark grey too!! It looks like it's going to be a super cute chair Car!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again, you have inspired me. I finally blogged about my first DIY project. Not nearly as cool as yours, but it's a work in progress. I almost emailed you today to get your advice on spray paint. And I like the dark gray fabric. Can't wait to see what you chose. :) -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your chair is coming along quite nicely :) Stop by for a blog visit :) I'm in the process of reupholstering a cane chair also. Have you checked out Decor and the Dog they just completed a cane chair, go there good information on doing the back :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the feedback everyone! And Katrina for the fabric tip :) Looks like gray is the most popular selection, I'm still on the fence :( I will be working on it tomorrow and Saturday most likely, it's been a crazy week! Hope you guys will come back to see how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful chair. I love the curly arms.

    Good find!

    Benita

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?